Tuesday 24 May 2011

The rapture

I think this quote highlights the nature of religion:
"We're in the business of telling people maybe there is someone you can talk to, and that's God."
Business...See that is why religion seems too 'worked out' for me. I find there is too much thought in religion. I loved the stories as a kid, we all can learn from the moral and these are adapted into many different everyday modern situations. I hate that people become so concerned with a source for guidance, though my concerns are strong in the sense that the guidance is something you can't quite get your hands on. Sometimes religion feels like a desperation, a drug, a purpose. A cushion? I don't like that for some it becomes a basis for their lives. I don't see it as healthy.

Personally, I could not keep up with the constant disappointment of it all. In placing so must trust in the idea of a rapture, just isn't practical. Knowing that many people would have spent their life long savings leading up to one day, for that day not to come and then having to start all over again. Tough times. Where is the logic?

Maybe it is just me, I always try to be as realistic towards everything when possible. Understandably. But with our lifestyles, for people that provide a model impression or status, how often can we give the benefit of the doubt? Also, does it make it harder to give when some aren't willing to give so soon anyways? It is like this with job hunting as well, a CV feels like a passport sometimes as we constantly have to identify our being, with personal skills and abilities. If we took on responsibility at work for a task we could not do and got found out about it, I'm pretty sure most would receive warning or to the extreme of being fired. Yet those religious, some aren't always so quick to 'fire' their God. Or at least the person voicing their God's guidance. How many times can they be told about the rapture before considering perhaps believing in the sort is not for them? Is continuing the faith doing more damage then benefit?

Once we give the benefit of the doubt, it becomes something which is very hard to take away. I wonder whether it becomes more of a reflection or test in our own levels of faith; whether this concerns religion or our own strength in believing in others, compared to what we provide the benefit for-be it religion, a person, a product. Only for so long can our patience be tested. The real test perhaps is within ourselves to believe in making the right decisions with no regrets afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment