Monday 21 March 2011

The patronise of it all

After discussions over my writing, it has come to my attention how many of my blog posts may be taken in a patronising way.


To be bold and say what you really think, to say you will be happy regardless, to make your choices, as long as you are happy, can all come across as 'I'll do this, so what'. And fair enough, if that is how you feel, of course that's cool because it is what you believe. I suppose my discussion towards the matter is, how often do you really need to say, 'of course there are always exceptions', or 'always give the benefit of the doubt?'.


Are we always going to have to explain ourselves?


In searching the news today, I came across the article below:


'So what makes people tell sick jokes about terrible disasters?'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389


There will always be touchy subjects, but all that makes them touchy are the responses we give to them. A subject to one, means nothing to another. My natural response to nearly everything at the moment is, 'if I were to die tomorrow, I would not care'. I am sure you can sense that from postings I have made over the past week. The alternative is, what is important to one, is not to another-but we have to respect their views and bear them in mind. To be shunned is quite rude, people balance I would say is priority. Everybody has their differences. On the one hand, it is adjusting to the unknown-change, whatever that may be, is a shock to the system and we have to learn to adapt, and most of all, accept. Things just, unfortunately are out of our control. Perhaps that is the hardest part.


How much can we really control in our lives? A self battle may have it's worth in the long run, but in the short term, I can't see it benefiting self. Though, without the short term, the long term wouldn't exist either. It seems we shall never win...

"People who have only good experiences aren't very interesting. They may be content, and happy after a fashion, but they aren't very deep. It may seem a misfortune now, and it makes things difficult, but well--it's easy to feel all the happy, simple stuff. Not that happiness is necessarily simple. But I don't think you're going to have a life like that, and I think you'll be the better for it. The difficult thing is to not be overwhelmed by the bad patches. You must not let them defeat you. You must see them as a gift--a cruel gift, but a gift nonetheless."
— Peter Cameron (Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You)


http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/110982.Peter_Cameron

Until you read an article like this. Of course words taken from the above may seem a bit harsh to those who can place hand on heart, and say they enjoy their life because, well, they have avoided lets just say, a tragedy-whatever that may be. Also today, an associate viewed on their facebook status words to the effect of, 'I want bad things to happen to me just so I can have some stories-life is boring!'. And what does that say about us, of course we always wish for what we do not know too well or do not have or possess. Regardless of those facts, I suppose we are winning all the time, most of the day we just don't know it yet. A phrase that has come to my attention today is, 'think for today, because then tomorrow will look after itself'. How much explanation should we really give that!? To exhaust is a bother, so take it as you wish...

No comments:

Post a Comment