Thursday 2 June 2011

Forgiving Acid Attack

For somebody to become so caught up with their own emotions, and to seek resolve by seeking revenge over a case of rejection. I am baffled.

Ameneh Bahrami is fighting for her attacker to have his own eyes burnt with acid, as he blinded and disfigured her face after throwing the substance in hers. There are two points to this article in which one I can agree with and the other, not:
"He said 'I am going to destroy your life and do something so nobody will marry you'," she remembers.
This all from being turned down for marriage. It actually scares me knowing that there are people out there who want to satisfy their own insecurities by paining others. I feel appalled by human nature:

'Bahrami won her case in 2008, when the court ruled that the 27-year-old Movahidi should be blinded with acid. It also sentenced him to jail and ordered that he pay compensation to the victim.'

But I think this also appals me as well. I couldn't imagine having some sort of power over somebody to feel the same pain one may have been through. It is just not within my nature, to get revenge. However, I do agree with Bahrami's point in wanting to teach people like this, a lesson in hope they would get perspective as well. Realisation of one's action MUST be realised, otherwise who knows what they may do next?:

'... But she is determined to pursue the ruling. "If I forgive, I get nothing for forgiveness," she says..."The same if I take his eyesight, I get nothing. But I want people like Majeed to know that there is punishment."'
Though what feels like double standards is also a very difficult situation to balance. How far should punishment go? I feel like this towards children in school too. As I have got older, it seems the children get smaller, and cheekier! Humans are becoming more intelligent in picking up peoples weaknesses, and children play on these vibes. I think a physical attack only shows a weakness in people, they feel they have to use brute strength to make their point. I find words are stronger than actions, but with words are they not stronger if examples can be attached to them as well?

All the more I am finding news that suggests classic methods of punishment should be brought back into action. Bear with me in trying to explain the following: If the consequence brought about the idea more strongly that if one does unfavourable 'action', they will have to under go another activity-unpleasurable, yet not exactly the most painful. However, this being unpleasurable in the sense that the 'activity' may not end as soon as they would like. Would this mean for those that 'sin', would gain a better understanding into the consequences they set for their victims as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment